http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/AB/20081130/NEWS/81130003/
So the news about Robert Williams, while awful, didn't surprise me too much. It was really only a matter of time before someone didn't live up to the impossibly high standards. Not that his actions were excusable by any means, but understandable, I guess.
I went to CCU for 2 (almost 2.5) years, where I met so many people who thought sexually active girls were whores, homosexuals were hell-bound, and anyone who hadn't been baptized (fully immersed baptized, sprinkling during infant Christening didn't count) weren't gonna get into Heaven. I personally had classmates tell me that my soul was in danger because I thought (and still think) that abortion is sometimes not only the best option, but the only option.
We could have TVs (unlike in previous years), but RAs advised us (and really, they must have been TOLD to tell us this gem) not to go to class with wet hair as it would make the guys realize we showered and lead them astray. No joke, I was told this by someone in a position of authority.
So in this environment~and who knows how long Mr. Williams was in this kind of environment (he hadn't worked for CCU his whole life, but, because he worked there, most likely shared a similar belief background)~how could those feelings have ever been dealt with in a healthy manner? I've seen men of faith, hating how they feel, not realizing they can't just NOT feel that way, do the "right thing" and marry some girl and keep denying to themselves who they are.
So yes; his actions were deplorable, but perhaps not his motives. He's not "allowed" to be a homosexual, he had to find other ways to deal with it. When I first saw the story, before it was revealed that the cop was a male, I already had a feeling it would be. Besides the location~also known after dark as "Mount Fairy" (I didn't make that up, folks)~a man looking for a female pro probably wouldn't drive all the way out to Cincinnati~Mount Airy, for that matter~when he could just pop down to Newport.
Who knows how long he's known about this part of himself? Or how many times he'd done the same thing, only without being caught?
A society that makes sex and sexuality shameful does its citizens no good.
Monday, December 1, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment