Wednesday, July 21, 2010

yes yes, I know.

It seems I tend to come on here when it is late and I should be sleeping. I swear, I DO update my livejournal quite frequently. I should probably just figure out a way to tie to the together so they update simultaneously.

So tonight is about my grandpa. I love my grandpa~he's funny and kind and a sweetheart. He was career air force, and he's been retired since he was about 45. So 65 years ago, he was stationed in New Guinea, where he picked up some kind of fungal infection in his ear. The doctors kind of shrugged and sent him on his way. They've never really figured out what it is~never taken samples while it's re-occurring (which it is, for all these years), never done more intense testing other than hearing tests. When it's bad, his ears get swollen and red and hot and his hearing aids hurt to wear.

Well, he's lost about 80% of his hearing, and he applied for an increase in benefits. And now that he wants more money, TPTB are all about him coming in and getting more tests. On the slight chance that his hearing loss CAN'T be attributed to a medical condition picked up while in service.

Part of me is all "at least they'll find out what exactly is wrong with him!" but a big part is saying "why didn't they take care of this in the first place? or the other times he went to the doctor because of it?"

I know the VA does good works, but I also know they fail a good part of the time too. It just makes me sad that my awesome grandpa is one that they dropped the ball on.

No comments: