I'm very excited about President-Elect Obama.
There's a hope and a real chance to repair our country with him as a leader.
Part of us healing as a country is the hope that we CAN heal~that we can get through all this crap and come out on the other side a 'more perfect union'. (I'm ignoring how grammatically incorrect, yet FAMOUS, that phrase is)
Not only can we repair our country, we can repair our international standing. Our country hasn't always been the butt of jokes; held in contempt by other nations. Barack Obama isn't just our new president or a symbol of how far we've come from the segregation and racial prejudice.
He's a symbol of change; a bright beacon of hope; and a way to hopefully regain our place in the international community.
Things I'm NOT fond of:
All the reporters and people saying how wonderful it is that we've conquered prejudice and discrimination just because we voted or a black guy.
California, Arizona, and Florida both banned same-sex marriage yesterday. Arkansas has banned adoption to "single people", effectively keeping same-sex couples and/or gay individuals from providing loving homes to children who desperately need them.
Californians and Floridians were more than ready to overcome prejudices to elect Barack Obama as President, but not quite ready recognize Amaerican homosexuals as having the same basic rights that every other American has.
I'm more than ready for someone with a larger audience than I have to spend a little time shouting into the stratosphere about this.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment